Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Perfect Gift

This time of year I sometimes hear folks lamenting the "gift buying chores" and how they hate shopping. The day after Thanksgiving is even called Black Friday. Sounds kind of terrible if you ask me. I don't see it that way at all because this is my most super favorite and exciting time of the year. I LOVE Christmas!! I love the sights, the sounds, the excitement, and definitely the tastes. But...I really love the gifts. That is definitely my "love language" and boy do I "speak" this time of year. I love listening to my family and friends for that little thing they said in passing and then surprising them with it. You know those things they thought was either no big deal or way too bothersome for someone to notice their want or need. Now, don't get me wrong - I love to get gifts but I soooo love giving them. I am just about to explode this time of year because it kills me to keep all of the secrets and I can't wait for the recipient to open them! I have to admit that not every gift is awesome and amazing. Those are rare but boy when they come they are so fun!

The interesting thing about gifts is that they don't have to be expensive to be amazing. One of my most favorite gifts that I have received was a cassette tape. My precious husband had put together a collection of all of "our songs" and recorded it onto this tape. I literally wore that thing out. I still have it - even though it no longer works. The only expense involved was some time and the cassette tape itself. However, that gift was priceless because of what it represented - a way to show love to me.

God knows all about that kind of gift. He gave the greatest love gift - His Son. Only this gift was very costly - not in the way the world measures cost but in the way that really matters. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish but have everlasting life." Just saying that is more than my mind can wrap around. I love giving gifts but I have to be honest, I don't know that I love anyone that much. Fortunately for all of us, God does love that much. He knew exactly what we needed and was willing to spare no expense.

So this Christmas as you are out shopping - ask for God's perspective. Rather than being irritated or stressed by all of it - ask for God's guidance and aid as you shop. Ask Him to give you insight into the "real needs" of each recipient so that they are "blessed" incredibly. You may even be surprised to find that you can stay easily within your Christmas budget this year. And...like God, you meet needs in a special and unique way that will never be forgotten.
Merry Christmas and Happy Gift Giving.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elsie Rose! These words blessed me, and I am excited to follow your writing on your blog! You are a great inspiration to moms like me with little ones!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete