Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Day - Last Day

Today was my baby girl's first day of the 2009 - 2010 school year. The fact that she is a sophomore in high school does not change the nostalgia of the moment. Before we left we took her official "first day of school picture". She is now in the picture all by herself as her siblings are either in college or graduated from college. Then we were off. I got the privilege of driving her to school today. We talked about lots of the usual things - who would be in her class, teachers, school subjects, what she wanted me to pray for her, (she said to pray that she would want to go to school instead of sleep), etc... The trip to school went way to quick. When she leaned over to kiss me good-bye I realized that next year she would be driving herself to school. This was my last "first day" with her. As I drove away I noticed with shock that she had grown up just like all of her siblings had done. I wanted to be offended because the "baby of the family" is not ever supposed to do that. I realized though that in order for her to become the woman that God had planned for her to become that all of this change was necessary. So...like many moms today I came away with tears in my eyes and precious memories in my heart of sloppy kisses rendered while trying to open the car door, gather lunch, books, and charging off into another year of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment