Thursday, August 20, 2009

Motherhood can be painful

I am having a hard time this morning. Perhaps the dreary sky and the falling rain are causing me to feel a little bit of melancholy. Or perhaps it is the silence in my home. The youngest has left for school, the next youngest starts college today, and the other three (one is married so we count his wife as our own now) are on two different continents. I know that that everyone is where God said to go and I am thankful for that. However, I don’t like the tears that keep slipping into my eyes that originate from the pain in my heart. I think I can relate in a small way to how Mary the mother of Jesus must have felt at times. Mary was told at the beginning of her "mom adventure" that pain would be a part of her journey. The scriptures tells us that when they went to the temple to present Jesus, a man named Simeon told her some wonderful things about her Son. They were amazing words of great things to come. However, he ended his conversation with these words, “And a sword will pierce your own soul too.” Translation: This journey is going to be really cool but eventually this is gonna hurt! I don’t know about anyone else but that would not be my favorite conversation closure. I am all for the warm, fuzzy, and awesome things about my children. At one time I even had a great memory so I could recall those things instantly. Like Mary, we moms do a great job of “treasuring all of these things and pondering them in our hearts”. That other part – not so much. I think that is what I am feeling today. Obedience to God means just that. Going wherever and doing whatever as instructed. That "mom" pain for me today looks like an empty and quiet home. I realize that in comparison to what Mary endured this is nothing. But pain… on even a small scale still hurts. I also know that mothers throughout the centuries understand and can relate. Our jobs are to teach them, love them, and prepare them to be God’s servants and then turn them loose to be just that. But that is hard because we love them so very much and the world is a very scary place. However, I will not lose hope or despair. Instead I will be encouraged by God's words in Joshua chapter 1. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” I know those words were for Joshua to build his confidence just like it is for my children. However, I think it was probably for Joshua’s mom too – and me and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment