Monday, September 7, 2009

Follow the Leader

Children learn best by playing. Over the years we have spent hours pretending, discovering, acting, following directions on board games. It is and was some of our favorite times together. When I think back over the myriad of games played with our children, "Follow the Leader" was usually a big hit. You know the game, one person leads and everyone else follows and imitates the leader. A really good leader had the followers always guessing what came next and laughing hysterically at the antics. The only real issue about that game was the "discussion" that would arise from starting. The arguments almost always had to do with the coveted position of who would be the leader. Everyone would get a turn but it seemed that "who was first" was still the point of contention. So...since all mothers are required to have the diplomacy skills of an ambassador to the Middle East some sort of rotating system would have to be installed so that all was "fair".

I was reminded of the "Follow the Leader" game this morning as I was reading about when Jesus called Peter and Andrew and James and John to become his disciples. He simply said, "Follow Me". No directions, promises, future predictions, or even a time frame. Just a simple command with only two words. The amazing thing to me is that "they went". They had families, obligations, and even were self-employed. Yet, they trusted Jesus so completely that they "followed their leader". In the process they did an amazing job of mimicking Him - so much so that when Peter saw Jesus walking on the water, he bailed out of the boat and did it too (maybe not for long but he did it!!) As a result they impacted the Kingdom incredibly from their day until ours. "Follow Me" led to the Gospel being spread around the world and lives being set free from the chains of sin.

That kind of faith and trust blows me away. I struggle so often with either being a terrible follower because "I want to be the leader" or when I am following I want to have all of the questions answered before I leave. The interesting thing about both of those struggles is that they each involve pride and fear. I am afraid of what is ahead so I have this crazy mindset that if I am the one in control that will fix everything. I am not sure why I think life can be played like the childhood game and that it will be successful when I am in charge. The reality is that I can trust only my Heavenly Father because He sees the "entire picture". He knows how the pieces all fit together - not just my life but how all of our lives connect together. He understands what we each need - even more than we do. As I was thinking about all of the reasons I come up with "not to follow Jesus" I thought about the fruit that kind of life produces. It was not a pretty picture. Following Jesus can be scary but it is a life worth living and one that reaps a great harvest. My prayer is that the words of Casting Crowns' song will encourage you today.

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

No comments:

Post a Comment