Monday, September 28, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes...Part 1

This blog title is Part 1 because there are many more "parts" to come. When it comes to the things children say that are just plain "black and white" in their truthfulness NOTHING is off limits. Having worked with children all of my adult life plus having four children of my own I could write a book with those comments that make your face go bright red with embarrassment. So...here is the first installment.

As I was pondering my weekend, a story came to mind from many years ago. I put off the chore as long as I could but the dreaded "haircut day" finally arrived. I don't know who dreaded it more - me or my three children. Toddlers are particularly challenging when it come to getting their hair trimmed so less in number is always better. However, this particular day I had our two boys ages 6 & 8 and our daughter who was 4. Since the place that we could afford did not take appointments I was uncertain of the wait but was hopeful we would arrive at a less crowded time. My worst fears were realized when we walked into the lobby. The place was packed which meant that haircuts were to be given and received one at a time -- not two or three at a time for which I was praying. So...thinking it reasonable to start with the one with the least attention span we went in order of youngest to oldest. All went well with the first haircut and we were off to the second. However, that now meant I had to entertain the toddler and keep her from getting into things or bothering other customers. She had quite a vocabulary even as a very young child and I saw her looking intently at a man minding his own business and reading a magazine. (I might also mention at this point he was smoking too.) Before I had time to think, blink, or react she walked right up to him and said "Do you know that smoking cigarettes can kill you?" The entire lobby froze - myself included! He simply looked at her and said, "Yes". A thousand things ran through my head at once and getting out of the building as quickly as possible was on the top of the list. Though I am mortified beyond belief I can not leave because even though the second son has finished his haircut, the oldest son just got the first snip cut from his hair. So...we are committed to staying. At this point, I must have looked like a "tap-dancing bear" trying to keep two children entertained but I had to do something to keep them away from this poor man. I watched to see that the final haircut was about to be completed thinking we were going to escape without further incident. Success was almost within reach when without further discussion or prior warning my daughter looks at the man again and in a voice loud enough for folks in Little Rock to hear asked, "So why are you still doing it?" If the lobby had been quiet with the first question, the silence was now deafening. I grabbed all 3 my children and threw down my money on the counter and ran. I really can't remember knowing how much it was and it may well have been all of my grocery money for the week but it was worth it just to escape!

Even as I type and remember I am laughing (very hard and loud). That was almost 17 years ago and it is very funny now. And...it is certainly great material for a really good story. My daughter spoke truth into that man's life even though it was uninvited. Out of the mouths of babes...Funny how it comes around though. I told you earlier that I was pondering my weekend. It seems that I ate a lot of stuff that I really like but was not very nutritionally sound and I never really got around to exercising. Without warning, I heard her little voice enter my thoughts saying, "Don't you know that will kill you?" That too was uninvited but still true. Paul tells us in Romans that we are to "offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God". If I am to be as useful as possible to God I have to take good care of my body. It is the only one that I will get! Now make note, I am not saying that I am NEVER to enjoy treats. However, I just can't make candy corn and peanuts my dinner!! Out of the mouths of babes!

No comments:

Post a Comment