Monday, September 14, 2009

Things Children Make Their Mothers Say

I have discovered that the profession of motherhood is unlike any other in the entire universe. In fact, I have decided that mothers may be the most talented of all professionals. The job description requires us to be caregivers, cooks, medics, taxi drivers, sports coaches & enthusiasts, tutors, negotiators, theologians, engineers, peace-keepers, linguists, multi-taskers, and locators of all lost things to name only a few. I only recite a few because the list is really endless since each day brings a host of potential new job descriptions. As I said in an earlier blog entry, I entered motherhood in 1985 with absolutely no idea of the adventure that lay before me. With a brand new bachelors degree in education I quickly learned that no amount of "education" could have readied me for what I was about to undertake. However, children have a way of teaching you things that you never even thought you needed to know. So…like most moms I became a fast learner.
Over the years I have told my children that raising them was worthy of writing a book because some of the things that I have had to say or do were just too good not to share with other moms on this same journey. I always have said that my book would be entitled The Things Children Make Their Mothers Say. This is due to the fact that moms have a unique vocabulary or lingo that is used only in this particular vocation. For example – in what other profession would you have to ask the question, "Why did you flush your shorts down the toilet?" Or… "Why did you stick green peas (or play dough or whatever…) up your nose?" And my personal favorite is “Your brother made you hit him with a bat. So…he took your hand and put a bat in it and swung it so that it hit him?” These are but a few of the hilarious and bizarre things that mothers say. As a result, this leads me to applaud mothers everywhere. Our jobs are not easy, require much from us, and are never-ending. However, I am quite certain when I say that we have the BEST jobs in the whole world! God Bless each of you - never lose faith and keep up the good work. The world needs you!

No comments:

Post a Comment