Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Waltz

I found something this morning that I had written late last Spring. It reminded me that I have a choice of "living an extraordinary" life or an "unintentional & ordinary" one. Hope you enjoy it.

As far back as I can remember I have wanted to dance. Not just the dance moves of gangly teenagers in a high school gymnasium but rather the polished and nimble-footed floating of a princess. The scenario in my mind was always complete with a gilded ballroom, wearing a beautiful ball gown, and of course dancing with a handsome prince. I suppose I, like every little girl, dreams these same dreams at some time of their young life. Over the course of time, I married my handsome prince but…never learned to dance. Not having the opportunity, money, and time were always my best justifications. Then one day all of the excuses were no longer valid and my prince and I gathered our courage and invested our time and money. We decided to take lessons and finally learn to dance.

I learned quickly that being nimble-footed required hard work and practice. For most of us students in the class, ballroom dance was a skill to be learned. It did not come naturally to many. After several lessons and a few sore toes later, I can say that my prince and I accomplished our goal. When the music begins our movements have the skills present that resemble a dance. However, I have discovered that the more I learn the more I realize I do not know. My heart is actually a little discouraged when I comprehend that it will take years to make the stuff of my dreams become a reality. However, one evening I got a glimpse of something wonderful and beautiful. Words may not do justice to the emotions I felt but I shall attempt it no less for I feel compelled to share this experience.

The waltz music began and I found myself without a partner. The instructor looked around the room to make sure that his students were progressing as they were taught. Then he realized I was standing alone on the side. My heart skipped a beat when he held his hand out to me. I tried gracefully to say that I did not mind waiting until the next dance. He insisted that there “was no waiting this one out” and so I placed my trembling hand into his. Immediately I was whisked away into a series of turns and spins so that I could hardly recognize my surroundings. The room became a blur of people and furnishings. My heart was in caught in my throat, barely allowing me to breathe. I vaguely remember using the basic steps I had learned – but there was so much more to this beautiful mosaic of movement. The feeling of flying or soaring may be a better description because it appeared that my feet scarcely touched the floor. The master was in charge – his leading allowed no room for misunderstanding as to what he asked of me. He was to lead and I was to follow. He was gentle, patient, and kind - but he was most certainly the one in control. Even a missed step on my part did not deter him from his intended direction or movement. He simply helped me to recover and we moved on. As the music began to end I realized a hush had fallen over the room and people has stopped to watch. There was a sense of awe or dare I say a reverence for seeing the master at work. Applause broke out as the dance concluded. I blushed at the attention but also immediately understood it was not my performance that was being applauded. It was the performance of the instructor who so masterfully guided his pupil to make her appear graceful and skilled.

I shakily thanked the teacher for the dance and made my way back to my spot to continue my lesson. My hand and legs took several minutes to stop quaking and my heart took even longer to calm. What had just happened had left me changed and different. There was the physical realm of knowing how a waltz could and should be danced. That alone was the stuff of my dreams. However, there was another dimension that I had not expected. It was a spiritual one – a lesson so unexpected and so astounding that it took many days to put words to it.

Simply put, God has a plan for my life - a beautiful dance. Just as the longings and dreams of a child to dance and float around as if on air, He has put within me the desire to want to live my spiritual life in that same manner. When done correctly God alone is the one who leads. He is the “master teacher” and can see what I cannot and guide me around unseen obstacles and potential hazards. He also takes me out of the “safe and rehearsed” steps and puts me into places that are far outside of my comfort zone. Isaiah 58:14 says “then you will find your joy in the Lord, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob” and Isaiah 40:31 says “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow wearing, they will walk and not be faint.” Both of these verses describe a life that is adventurous, exhilarating, and anything but ordinary. It portrays a life that is constantly sensitive to the guidance and direction of the Father. The challenge for me is to follow, to rest and to trust. However, many times I want to be the one in control but the “dance” does not work when I attempt to lead. It is awkward and gangly – a constant battle of direction. This kind of “dance” is one filled with frustration and “sore toes”. So…my dilemma (and yours) is this. A decision has to be made about which kind of life will be lived. I can try to assume control and help “steer” or I can let go and soar and fly. There really is no middle ground or trying to straddle the fence. That said…I think I hear the orchestra warming up. I can’t speak for you but I think I am going to put on my dancing shoes...and strap them on real tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment