Friday, September 4, 2009

Monsters Under the Bed and Boogey Men in the Closet

Can anyone relate to this scenario? It is now past the appointed “bedtime” but at last all children are bathed, books read, prayers said, and are tucked in their beds. The day has been filled with lots of things – some fun, some hard, some requiring the patience of Job. My comfy robe, slippers, and favorite chair await me. Just as a start to sit I hear a version of my name being called, “Mo-aw-om”, at decibels that I am sure are illegal. I rush to the child’s room thinking something horrible must have happened only to hear the infamous words, “There is a monster under my bed!” So…together we turn on the lights, examine the underside of the bed, and upon discovery that it was a toy left out, or a shadow, or the wind, get back into bed once again. Only on rare nights did the monster show up only once. Most of the time it took at least two more very analytical surveys of the room for the child to finally be convinced that “all was well” and go to sleep. I would like to say that my voice was always understanding and patient upon those examinations of the room. However, by the third trip that was rarely the case. If it was the Boogey Man that showed up instead of a monster, I probably resembled him by the third trip. While my impatience at the irrationality of monsters or Boogey Men seemed completely justified, the reality is that most of the time fear is irrational. There were some nights that no amount of explanation or examination was going to calm the child. The only answer was to sleep with Mom and Dad. (That of course made it all the harder to discern the next night when the monsters arrived if that was not the motive all along!)

Since my children are mostly grown I don’t hear those voices too often now. But yesterday I got to experience the “monster under the bed” again – only this time he was under my bed. I was meeting with a group of ladies who work with young moms helping them to be the best moms they can. Without thinking, I casually mentioned that I had started writing a blog that had “moms” in mind. They immediately wanted to know the web address. The moment of truth (or panic) had arrived. At first I wanted to take it all back and tell them I made it up. See…until that moment I have been writing but no one knew it so I could write and be safe – kind of like a diary with a really good lock and key. It was fun to think I was a “blogger” but the fun left and the Boogey Man showed up real quick when I had to reveal the address. All kinds of things ran through my head like what if what I write is terrible and helps no one. Or…what if someone does not like what I write and they say something mean to me. Or worse, what if someone likes it and I have to write more and I can’t! It felt like not just one monster but a legion had showed up. After talking with my husband and praying to my Father in Heaven, I am reminded that every time God called someone to do something, He almost always began the job description by first saying “Don’t be afraid!” It seems that God knows we are afraid – even when it does not make sense or is illogical. It is as if He knows that fear will be our first reaction so He wants to get that taken care of first, so we can listen to the rest of what He wants us to do. I think Paul must have understood all about “Boogey Men and Monsters” because he spent a lot of time in his writings giving us weapons to defeat them. Here are a few… Phil. 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil. 4:19 “And my God will meet all of your needs according this His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Eph. 6:10 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” Rom. 8:31 “What shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Rom. 8:37 “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us!” With that said, I guess my blog can no longer be just my secret. Join me today in whatever God is calling you to do and let this be our cry “On guard, Boogey Man” and sling the sword of God’s Word to defeat those “monsters” that would have us hiding under our beds! Go forth and “Be not afraid!”

No comments:

Post a Comment